Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Faites attention!

I have this really bad habit of not taking the time to fully read directions. I'm too impatient, and they're completely unnecessary at least half of the time anyway. In my SAT prep class in high school, they kept stressing the importance of taking the time to carefully read the instructions. They always went something like this: Read the following excerpt, and, afterward, answer the questions based on it. I wouldn't know what to do with a "following excerpt" except read it, and those handy question marks at the ends of those sentences always tip me off about the fact that they're looking for an answer. That, and the fact that they're followed by four statements with bubbles next to them.

Today, though, I was really kicking myself (among other things) for not paying a little closer attention.

I've been wanting to print some photos to mail out to people as postcards, but, until recently, had no idea where to find a digital photo kiosk. Stores like Target or Wal-Mart, all-in-one shopping centers, just don't exist here. I finally came across a little photo center in one of the larger metro stations, and, with my roommate, took the time today to pop my memory card in and choose a few pictures to print. The total came to 2,50 euros, but I noticed a little sign that said that the machine didn't take change. A bit of a bummer, since I have a ton I need to get rid of, but I shrugged and stuck my smallest bill, a ten, into the slot. The machine printed my pictures, thanked me for my patronage, and then returned to its main screen. No clinking of 7,50 worth of coins in the change slot.

"What the?" I dug around some more, my roommate pushed various buttons, but still nothing. Figuring I'd been cheated out of almost 8 bucks in change, I glanced around for a number to call. Then I saw the little sign again. "Attention: cette machine ne rend pas la monnaie."

I swore. I'll admit it. I also kicked the machine as hard as I could. Upon receiving the blow, its screen went black for a second and my roommate, afraid that I'd broken it, started to hurry me away from the scene of the crime. Turns out it was just the display re-setting.

The verb prendre means "to take." The verb rendre means "to give back." Only one letter's distinction, but it was the difference between me reading the sign as "This machine doesn't take change" and, as it was meant, "This machine doesn't give change." Suck.

So, if you get a post card from me, know that it was at great expense to my wallet, my pride, and a Parisian photomaton's well-being.

No comments:

Post a Comment